How to make Coleslaw – Homemade:
Coleslaw is delicious when it is homemade. Often people tell me how tasty and delicious my homemade coleslaw is.
If I visit friends and family sometimes I would bring some with me and they love it.
Homemade Coleslaw just goes with so many things. I love having it with homemade onion rings, homemade pies, and a steak or with chicken and many other things.
Some other suggestions that this gorgeous coleslaw would be nice with and I have recipes to show you is Jacket Potato, Homemade Cheese Burger, Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cheese & Ham, Veggie Fingers and individual Mini Chicken Pie.
Make sure you browse through the website to find more fabulous recipes like the homemade quiche, homemade mini chicken pie or the vegetarian scotch egg and lots more recipes for home cooking.
It is an amazing accompaniment to a main course, or as part of a salad or in a sandwich, panini, bagel or roll.
This recipe is extremely versatile. This homemade version can be adapted to make various types.
I have given you the basic recipe and also highlighted some other ways you can adapt the coleslaw by adding different ingredients to the basic mixture.
You may think of another variation. Perhaps you might decide to put pineapple in it or something else.
I would love to hear your comments on what ones you have tried. What have been your favourites? And if you have come up with a different ingredient to add to the basic coleslaw then let me know in the comments.
I really recommend you try making this recipe. You will love it.
Enjoy making and tasting this wonderful coleslaw recipe.
as part of a dinner or lunch
Ingredients for Basic Coleslaw
- 80g cabbage – red or white or both
- 80g carrot
- 10g onion – red onion is best (optional)
- 2 large heaped tbsp mayonnaise (you may need more when adding additional ingredients
- salt & pepper
Additional Ingredients for other types
- For Cheese – 80g cheedar cheese
- For Sultana – 30g sultana
- For Apple – 80g red apple
- For Fruity – 30g sultana & 80g red apple
How to make coleslaw – homemade
Method & Instructions
Cut cabbage into ¼ inch slices then cut into chunky squares
Grate the carrot
Dice onion finely
Season with salt & pepper (optional)
Mix it well in a bowl
Add mayonnaise and mix well
Serve and enjoy
Or you can try the following variations of coleslaw:
- For cheese coleslaw add 80g of cheddar cheese and mix well to the basic coleslaw mixture
- For sultana coleslaw add 30g of sultana to the basic mixture and mix well
- For a sweet apple coleslaw add 80g of apple – red is best
Core the apple or cut apple into four and cut out pips
Keeping the skin on is best and if you use a red apple it adds a vibrant colour
Dice the apple into small cubes
Add the basic mixture and mix well
- For a fruity one add 30g sultana and 80g apple to the basic mixture and mix well
- You can add 80g of cheese to the sultana one, or the apple, or the fruity coleslaw
Have fun with making yours and experiment as I did. But if you decide to just try making the basic one, then I can assure you there is nothing basic about the flavour.
You won’t ever buy a shop one again after you try this homemade version.
Check Out My Blog Categories
Support My Site & Share This Post With Family & Friends